Profol Americas, a global leader in the manufacture of cast polyolefin films, has introduced SBB Synthetic Bacon Board® film to the food packaging marketplace.
The current Covid-19 environment has caused a significant upturn in household meal preparation, resulting in a 12.8 percent increase in bacon sales from last year. Refrigerated bacon accounts for more than $5 billion in sales and more than 1 billion in pounds, with no signs of slowing down.
Today’s packager and consumer are looking for sustainable and user-friendly bacon packaging, two driving forces in the introduction of SBB Synthetic Bacon Board®.
Key SBB Synthetic Bacon Board® attributes versus traditional wax or poly-coated bacon board include:
- Polypropylene-based and is 100% recyclable in the polypropylene or polyolefin recycle stream
- Can be separated for recycling using the traditional water bath separation used for polyolefins
- Does not absorb moisture or bacon fats
- Remains stiff throughout packaged product distribution and use
- Withstands High Pressure Process (HPP) sterilization used in turkey, chicken, fish-based, beef and plant-based bacon packaging
- Can be pigmented any chosen color on one side and white on the other
- Standard offerings are white/black, yellow/white or white/white board
- Also available in customer’s corporate color and can be exclusive to that customer if minimum volume is met
“Our track record in the packaging industry offers a solid platform for delivering more sustainable, more highly functional film for this consumer-favorite food item,” states Profol New Business Development Director Mark VanSumeren. “And our U.S. manufacturing facility is certified to meet the Safe Quality Food (SQF) code.”